Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ice Storm

Well, the weatherman told us it was going to be awful. Imagine my surprise when I awakened on Monday morning and realized it wasn't horrible at all. I was NOT iced in, so without further ado, I had no choice but to head off to work. I arrived in good form... ready to tackle the day's chores. But alas, despite the clear roads, the ice had knocked out the power and I had no phones and no heat, so put my coat on, and sadly (ahem) headed back home.

I did note on my way there and back that several large trees were down on the route, but things didn't seem awful or anything. I got home and we decided on ice storm days you watch Pride & Predjudice, so we began. We were really getting into it when our lights went out. Then back on. Then out. then back on. out. on. out. on
OUT! OUT! OUT! No! This can't be any fun. I called my Mom. Her lights were also out.

My daughter decided to start a big pot of soup, since we couldn't do anything else and it would help keep the house warm. (We, have gas cooking which is a blessing in power outages). So, we pulled out our crocheting and went to work and chatted and decided it was not so bad, anyway. After an hour I called Mom again and asked her to come over to our house. She has an electric cook stove and I thought she must be getting cold. She decided to just stay snuggled under a blanket, sure the power would be back on soon.

Well, after a couple more hours, we were beginning to wonder just when the power would be back on. I called Mom again, but she was determined to wait it out. We decided to call the power company for one of those automated messages so we would at least have an idea as to how long we would be waiting in the dark. The message said the power would be back on by January 16th at 11:59 pm. HOLD ON! That would be the next day! I called Mom and told her to pack her little bag. She now had no choice. She would have to abandon the cold comfort of home and head to our house. This time she relented.

I returned home from picking up Mom to find the house feeling warm and cozy with the warm light of our "way too many" uncounted candles. They twinkled from every flat surface. The soup was done and the aroma made us unwilling to wait; and why should we. IT was already supper time. We settled around the table with out soup bowls and hot garlic bread and ate by candlelight and Mom told us stories of the good old days. It felt like this really was a good old day and we just enjoyed ourselves.

After clearing away the table we began wondering what we could do all evening to keep ourselves entertained and settled for scrabble or more stories. When all of a sudden... ON... the lights came back on. then off. Then on... then ON! And this time they stayed on. I managed to convince Mom to sit a while until her house would have a chance to warm back up... so we watched the weather channel to learn how "not so bad" we had it when so many were worse off then we were. We were glad we would not be 2 days without lights.

I took Mom home and came back to see the Golden Globe dress splendor. And, as usual the gowns were awesome; the jewelry outstanding. It's always fun to see the glamor. But it wasn't nearly as glamorous as the scenery the next day. The ice storm turned everything magical and Tuesday dawned sunshine bright turning everything into crystalized splendor. Not even the camera could catch the prisms of color dancing from electrical wires and chain link fences. It is totally awesome. Here are some pictures. We spent the afternoon trying to catch forever the day and wound up in our favorite place along the banks of the Kalamazoo River. Enjoy.



Winter Ice Storm, 2007

If you want to see the pictures in more detail, simply click on the link "Winter ice storm 2007" above and it will take you to the full album.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Wow -- these pictures are awesome and I'm sure glad your power came on sooner rather than later!