Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year and all that Jazz! Yeahhhh!

Well, here we are all the way up to 2007. Makes me remember my youth when I picked 40 as the age to die. Those "old people" were so sad and boring! Well If I had bit the dust at 40 I would have been gone 25 years already.

I have learned a bit about aging. For one thing, I have never felt that I was older than 35. I guess that is why I didn't die at 40. Just never arrived at that ripe old age. For another thing, I am totally amazed at how old people my age are when I see them. I go home stare at myself in the mirrow. I guess the doctor inserted rose colored lenses at the time I had to have both eyes "done" because of cataracts. I still don't think I'm as old as any of the people my age. Of course, the arthritic pain when I have to get up makes me think sometimes that I am actually 90.

Anyway, this isn't a growing old theme. This is Happy New Year talk. Here's how our evening celebration went.

The kid was on antibiotics which means we didn't buy our usual bottle of wine to toast in the end of the old and the beginning of the New. But, we determined to have a good time, whatever!

We saw in the year with a game of Scrabble. By some slight miracle I won by just a couple points. The miracle being that the kid got stuck with the Q and could never unload it. And it didn't hurt that despite the fact that with my 7 tiles allowed on my stick, 13 of them were usually vowels. I never could spell much more then 7 point words, even if I were on triple point squares. Until I got a D which fit in just the right spot, joining together two words and getting me triple word points to boot; gifting me up with 54 points for just one play. If not for that miracle... I would have been completely embarrassed when the final score was tallied.

When we put away the Scrabble tiles we watched Little Miss Sunshine. You don't need a New Year's Eve drink to enjoy this movie. I laughed so hard I came close to losing my breath a couple times and definitely had tears streaming down my cheeks. I think it just reminded me of some road trips I had taken in my youth, and I totally felt the pain and the love of the characters in the movie. If you haven't seen it. You should. Got to become a classic and a movie that I will pick up to watch over again and again.

Then Dick Clark counted down slowly to 2007. The neighbors began shooting off fireworks and guns. Sweet Pea got a little agitated and had to bark at the noise, but I choose to believe she was just wishing us a Happy New Year too. Altogether it was a fun night.

Hope the same for you. Hope you had a grand time last night and that the year ahead will be filled with more laughter than tears.

Happy New Year!

No comments: