Sunday, September 03, 2006

Happy Labor day!

It is difficult for me to imagine that we are in September and that this is Labor Day Weekend. But, no matter how difficult it is for me to imagine it; the trees are dropping leaves, the air feels strangely like fall and I have to take a deep breath and face the fact that I will soon be dragging out my winter coat and getting up early enough to scrape ice off my windshield.

But, here in our country this is a big weekend for bar-b-queing and enjoying the last long weekend of summer. I hadn't thought about the neighborhood air filling up with the aroma of grilling meat until I hit the grocery store this morning and saw a dude putting a rack of ribs in his cart that filled the whole bottom of the thing up and then proceeded to pile in packages of hamburger meat and then head on to the brats. Guess they were going to have one heck of a party.

Me, I was there to buy orange juice. The kid and I are both down with some kind of bug. I got hit first and quite stupidly didn't realize that the reason I felt so punk was because I was sick. My daughter told me I should not be going around Mom and exposing her to whatever it was that I had. I thought about it and finally called Phyllis. I filled like a smuck begging off from spending the night with Mom, but the truth is, I realized it was probably for the best. Phyllis agreed and so Mom spent that night with Phyllis. It wasn't like I was going to get over a "cold" in one night, however. I did go to work the rest of the week but ran a fever and mostly tried not to lay my head down on my desk and go to sleep. Mom spent the nights with Phyllis

I figured by the time the weekend got around I'd be pretty much recovered. Saturday morning I went over to my sister's house, fully intending to pick up Mom and give her a ride home, while Phyllis finished up doing "hair" for Saturday. I was there about 30 minutes when I realized that what I really wanted to do was go somewhere and just lie down. So, I left. Went home, hit my recliner and slept most of the day away. Well, today I feel better but am glad I have a long weekend to recover in. Jamelah started in feeling sick on Friday so we are mopping around the house doing the "getting plenty of rest" and watching videos. Ahh... Happy Labor Day!

On a happy note. Mom is getting stronger every day. She enjoys her independence and has decided that there is no reason why she needs someone to spend the nights with her anymore. She talked it over with her nurse and was told she should be fine. So, last night, Mom spent her first night alone. She did well, and is feeling good about it. Counting the days until the surgery. Glad she doesn't have to go to some doctor appointment every day.

So, it is a Happy day. A happy Labor Day!

No comments: