Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I could have put my eye out!


Tentacles
Originally uploaded by Annie Fay
Winter seems a savage beast this year as the snaggletoothed icicles hanging from the front of the house give credence that all of nature is out to get us. I moan when even a few more flakes of snow flutter downward. I gasp when the cold northwest wind eats my face when I step out the door. I shiver under blankets trying to keep the chill out of my bones and wonder if I am really cold or just feel that way because I know the wind chill outside is a negative 20 degrees. I think this should all be preserved someway. I should be taking pictures and posting them but I can't stand the idea of standing still in the cold long enough to snap a picture.

I curse the elements when I begin the futile task of removing snow from my car as one side of the windshield fills up with snow by the time I get the other side cleared. It is hopeless. This winter seems colder and grayer and gloomier and sadder than all the superlatives you can associate with weather rolled into one long, bleak, bad winter day. These days are shorter, the nights darker, tempers flare more quickly. Will it ever end?

But in some moment, and it should really be captured, the sun refracts from the icicles hanging outside my window. I go to see the soft white of fresh snow covering all the mistakes of ugly gray slush and I seem to have stepped out of time. This moment is perfect beauty. I smile, grab my camera and try to catch this instant, knowing full well, even so, I could lose an eye. Those things do happen, you know.

No comments: