Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Summer Flight

This morning as I was climbing into my car a yellow and white moth flew by. I was suddenly a little kid again, lying on my back contemplating yellow moths, or staring at cartoon shapes in the clouds floating by overhead. Summers of my youth were long, days stretching on endlessly, seemingly filled with boredom for lack of something "exciting" to happen. It seemed it would be forever until school started back up again and I would have "something to do."

I just want to go back to that time. The time when days stand still, heat sears your head, walks to the lake to swim fill an afternoon, and there is endless hours to gaze at butterflies, watch a praying mantis, or marvel at the green slime in your palm from the grasshopper you were just holding and tossed back into the lawn with a profound exclamation of "eueeegh!!!" I want to watch the yellow moth in flight to see where it flitters to. I want to be amazed by the moon at night and lay on my back and stare up at the big dipper while I get vertigo and think I will surely float away from the earth and be lost in endless space.

It was good for just a moment this morning to be a kid again. To watch the moth float away, oblivious of me climbing into my car to head off to my day. I loved that pause in reality. It is sad that the only thing that has flown this season was summer itself and I can't really figure out when summer took flight.

No comments: