Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Cathcing Up

I knew it had been forever since I had posted on this blog. I tried to feel ashamed, but I just didn't have the incentive even for that, nor the time. I'm just going to try to bring you up-to-date, sort of. Hopefully, in the organized way I do things... but hopefully also, not too boring. If it is, just skip this post.

Oct 4, 2005: I had knee replacement surgery. I totally ignored the computer world for a while, but I actually did post something, sometime around then I think. Anyway, that was last year, and now I have a really neat scar on my right knee, and it still bothers me some, but otherwise, it was worth it and it's over.

We did Thanksgivings and Christmas. They were quiet but nice. I can't think of anything that stands out in my memory regarding them... so I guess they were also boring. But quiet and nice seemed pretty good at that time, actually.

Winter was not a bad thing this year. We didn't get buried in snow even one time. I had to pay someone to come shovel us out once. So I thought that was a good winter. But I'm not a farmer who depends on the moisture from the snow to bring good spring crops. It didn't even get cold this winter and stay there. Again, this is not a good thing for farmers (i guess the ground didn't even freeze good, and not being agriculturally minded I don't understand this... but a good freeze is needed to help the land lay dormant). So we breezed through winter and soon it was spring. Spring was early and farmers were out cultivating their fields and soon everything was up and growing. The old statement about the corn being "knee high by the 4th of July" was irrelevant. In some places the corn was tasseling out by mid-July and by the 4th it was head high.

Before I had my knee surgery I had started having trouble with my left arm. I complained to my doctor at a regular checkup, midwinter and he sent me off to physical therapy. This was silly. I had just finished about 8 weeks therapy for my knee.

But, I was back again. The therapist who did my analysis, felt I had some type problem with my shoulder and that the problem was not arthritis. He contacted my doctor and requested x-rays be made. The x-rays showed I had spurs in the area causing the pain. My therapist worked with me for 6 weeks, while the use of my arm decreased. He sent me off to my bone guy who had done my knee. A CAT-scan revealed my rotator cuff was damaged by the spur. So, this had to be repaired. Well we're into spring and almost summer. Not being a sports addict, I did not know this was an injury usually had by ball players so I endured a lot of jokes about hurrying to get the job done so I wouldn't "be out all season." I was hoping to postpone the whole thing until September when I turn 65 and go on medicare. Less money out of my pocket. The doctor suggested I not wait. As I continued to use the arm, I would probably injure it further and as it currently stood, it could be repaired. SO, I listened to him and we scheduled the surgery.

Let me just say, just because an operation is done on an out-patient basis does not mean it is minor surgery! Turns out recovery for this surgery is longer and more difficult than the knee surgery. I was able to return to work in a sling in 2 weeks, so I thought it was going to be no big thing. Well, it is a BIG thing. If you know someone who has to have this done, be generous in your sympathy. They deserve it.

They began me on physical therapy almost immediately. My daughter and my sister went along, because I was not allowed to move my shoulder myself. They were taught how to "manipulate" it so it could be moved each day in a non-harmful manner. This would decrease the possibility of adhesions growing, which would take me to another surgery, to have them broken free. So... needless to say, I am well known at physical therapy but finally got to tell them goodbye (I hope not so long). I am finally on my own. Which is good, but I still have a 30 minute regiment I must do every day to keep the arm from freezing up on me and to regain full use of it... so far I have a ways to go. I will do this. Somehow.

So, I just haven't been doing a lot of typing, hence no posting has taken place. And with my mom's illness (next post) I doubt that I'll have a lot of time. But I do want to use this space as a means to keep the family updated on her progress.

So, that said... I think I better write the next post

No comments: