Sunday, February 05, 2006

I Blame The Super Bowl

What a winter we have had this year. 55 days in a row with temperatures well above normal. I have forgotten what it feels like to get up early and go out to remove 3 feet of snow off my car before driving to work. It has been awesome.

We were getting a bit spoiled. Wearing a light weight jacket layered with a sweater underneath. (I hate bundling up in the winter time)... I'm feeling pretty good about living in Michigan this year.

Then What? With the Super Bowl coming to Detroit the natives of Motor City are feeling a bit sad that there is no cold weather and snow to show off to all the tourists arriving for the weekend. (Folks, really now. The people are coming to sit in a stadium and watch fools run around chasing a ball. They are not planning a ski get away! So these same natives begin to pray for snow! Yes, that's right, pray for snow.

Well, Glory, Be. Somebody up there likes them. We got dumped on. I awoke to a snow covered yard and streets. A car once again buried. I struggle into my layers and head out to remove the crud off my car, cursing people who thought this weather would be a good idea, but glad we didn't get as much here as Detroit had gotten.

The temperatures rose to 31. The snow has begun to thaw. It is rather lovely out, actually. The wind is blowing. But, I'm still blaming the Super Bowl for the end of our spring like winter and the arrival of the real thing.

Do you suppose they will pray for a return to what we had before once the Super Bowl is over. Will we get 55 more days of above average temperatures?

What the heck. I'm just a bit of a pessimist, I must admit. Each morning during the 55 days I'd hear myself say as I backed my car out of my drive "I'll pay for this nice weather before winter is over." I guess it is time to settle up.

2 comments:

SooZen said...

Annie...it has been a very strange weather year but I tend to blame global warming (yes, I am jumping on the bandwagon!)

I picked a tick off my dog the other day (in February!!!) and my roses all still have their leaves. It hasn't rained here since September, [gulp] The usual spring/fall winds just blow all the time now, all seasons the dirt flies.

My feeble expectations are for a buggie, dry, hot, windy season. Boy! I can hardly wait. Hah!

SooZen said...

Okay Anniefay...where are you girl? I am gonna quit sending those postcards if I never hear from you. (an empty threat...)

I know you can write so you can't fool this old fool.

Smacks!