Friday, April 22, 2005

TV That Doesn't Suck? No Way!

The last few years have created a total dearth as far as TV viewing is concerned. I had a couple shows I watched faithfully, ER and Law & Order. Then they decided to cram Law & Order down my throat and every time I switched on the TV I found an episode playing on some channel somewhere. Not knowing the old addage too much of a good thing, they had to add new Law and Orders, and I found myself suffering from severe overkill. I just rather lost interest, although I do admit to actually liking the Criminal Intent version, but it is the main character that captures my interest. He's a bit weird, in a twisted sort of way that fascinates me.

This year I find I am watching ER less and less and with them advertising that it is the last season that Carter will be a regular, well... ho-hum. None of the remaining characters are remotely interesting. I am not watching the show just to see "hot doc" struggle with his weirdo girlfriend and her kid. That story line belongs on Lifetime TV, which I just don't watch.

So the last couple years I have resigned myself to watching The Discovery Channel and telling them they are not documenting what they are saying with real facts, but with a lot of supposed theories, still learning some interesting stuff. Of course there is the Food Network and Iron Chef cookoffs. It's sort of like watching golf, but with a lot of adrenaline and extra stress added. You have these guys cooking up a storm while some guy over in a corner speculates on exactly what the heck it is they are doing. It can be a bit fun at times but on occasion is about as entertaining as having a root canal. That left me with watching VH-1 and all those nifty trips down memory lane with insolent comments thrown in by sarcastic pundits. Please! I'm not really watching this tripe, am I? That leaves me with endless hours of relaxing moments watching HGTV over the ironic comments of my daughter who finds the ongoing episodes of Design on a Dime a genuine waste of time.

But what has happened this year? I began with Desperate Housewives which I found mildly amusing. That lasted about 8 espisodes and I was sick and tired of all the sexual crap and quickly just didn't bother to watch it at all. But LOST, oh come on! I am hopelessly addicted. How did this happen? Then mid-season they began House and I watched this show exactly one time and knew they had better not cancel it. I love this onery doctor. I really do! And then Numb3rs aired on a Friday night and once again I find myself fascinated by a new show. I'm not sure why I like the show. Maybe because it takes a different perspective on fighting crime and, honestly, I'm sick to death of the CSI shows (well I still watch the Vegas one) simply because I have felt the urge to run into the bathroom and hurl. It seems they just want to gross you out at times or present something so total sicko, because evidently this is the kind of tripe people are truly entertained by these days.

Well, that's it! Now I'm turning back into a TV junkie. There is something on TV every night but Saturday and Sunday which I don't want to miss. On Mondays? Oh... I didn't say did I? Well I watch Raymond and 2 1/2 Men, but maybe not for long, since this is Raymond's last year. I haven't found myself such a dedicated fan of TV shows since I was addicted to Homecide, Life on the Streets. Why the heck did they ever take that show off TV, anyway? So, Here's to my 3 new favorites: Lost, House and Numb3rs. Hope they're out there long enough to be more than a cult phenomenon. I hope I'm not putting a hex on them by writing this.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Yay House! I am a House fan too -- but I think you need to watch the hatin' on VH1, now!