Thursday, April 21, 2005

Then it turned green

We were stuck in the this endless cycle of suck. Winter held and continued to freeze us to death. Then all of a sudden one Sunday the sun snuck out and the climate began warming. It liked it so well that it just kept hanging around and before we knew it things began looking like spring. Everthing was tinted green. The blooming trees turned into a riot of blossoms and my heart began a lighter rhythm of beating.

I love spring. I love watching the farm fields begin turning into something. Winter wheat peeks up through the ground and acres of fields appear as perfectly manicured lawns undulating across the hills interrupted by trees which haven't bothered to get dressed yet. Everything is electrically charged with a new sense of coming back to life. The migrating birds are flying overhead and the noisy ones have started singing outside my window in the early morning light.

Now, we were in an endless cycle of sunshine and golden days. The skies were so clear that the only mark across their expanse were whitened jet trails dissappearing into long streaks of cloud puffs. The weatherman began describing our climate as dangerously arid and I wondered if the guy had ever been in an arid climate in his life.

That got fixed this week when an outrageous thunderstorm struck in the early morning, flashing blinding light through my bedroom windows and booming in a tirade against the idea that we live in an arid clime. I rolled over, stared at the time and realized I still had 30 more minutes of serious sleep time and refused to have it stolen from me. I wrapped the covers around my head then realized that in this electrical storm I was hooked up to a device that if lightening strikes the house, I definitely am going to get my sinuses cleaned out... like permanently... and my brain fried during the procedure. I began to wonder if anyone connected to a "sleep machine" had ever been struck by lightening while they were innocently snoozing safely in their beds. I quickly decided this was not a good line of thought at the time and decided I could check into it later. Of course, there's that quote by the infamous they "you have a greater chance of being struck by lightening than winning the lottery" and I realized that since I have never won the lottery, maybe I am meant to be struck by lightening.

Screw it. I'm going back to sleep. Chances are if I do get struck by lightening, I won't live to tell about it but won't my daughter have an interesting story to tell the grandkids... well when they finally get to come into existince. I can hear it now, "You know your grandma enjoyed doing things up big. Even in death, she had to go out being smitten by the awesome hand of God." Wow! Go figure. I hope they put something like that on my crematory urn.

Sizzled by lightening! Nothing left here but ashes.

No comments: