Saturday, December 25, 2004

Holy Freezerburn, Bat Man!

Yipes. Our winter wonderland is awesome. Just like the pictures in all the pretty books. The snow that fell a couple days ago is still fresh appearing by the light dusting of snow that has kept it white and the subnormal temps that preserves it from getting that yellow melty look.

We had been warned that last night would be the coldest yet. My Mom and I forewent a tradition of driving around on Christmas eve to "look at the lights" due to the low temps. Around 9pm Mom called to remind me to leave the cabinet doors open in front of my kitchen sink. The pipes have a habit of freezing since the connecting one travels right in front of the window in the basement. I thanked her for the reminder and grinned as I walked back to my recliner past the doors which I had left open after finishing up the supper dishes.

We were popping in A Christmas Story to watch and would be watching It's A Beautiful Life after dinner at Mom's tomorrow. That's a perfect time to see it. If you happen to doze off due to the slight discomforts of too much food consumed, you wake up in familiar territory and don't really feel like you've missed anything.

I woke up this beautiful Christmas day. A quick check of the kitchen sink, let me know that the pipes hadn't frozen, so Mom's advice still works. Good, I need that hot coffee. Checked my email and gasped at the temperature displayed on my "home page". "Low: -11F." Yipes! It would reach that low at about 7am. I had an hour to go before it got as cold as it was going to get. I shivered just thinking about it and went and grabbed a fleece topper and pulled it on over my flannel jammies. Burrrrr! This is just too cold. With the windchill outside it should be about 20 below zero out there.

Of course, once it gets to a certain "cold" it is just cold and you don't know much besides bundling up really good when you go outside. Since my childgood I have been told that Michigan remains warmer than the states just west of us because the Great Lakes warm the atmosphere overhead. This is usually true. Minnesota and Wisconsin is always quite a bit colder than it is here.

But for here, it is just cold. I'm going to turn on the oven to get ready for the baked goods I'm making for dinner later today, keep snuggly warm in my flannel and fleece, wrap my hands around my coffee mug to warm them from time to time, celebrate Christmas without my teeth chattering, thankful for a good gas fired furnace. To all of you, wishes for a Happy Holiday and a very warm and merry Christmas.

No comments: