Saturday, September 11, 2004

For my Litkicks Pals and Other Friends

The Bulletin Board

I have always loved post cards. Glossy photos can be picked up anywhere for a pittance and so whenever I go anywhere I always bring back a couple postcards of my trip.

My love for them increased when my daughter spent one semester in Venice and as she traveled around Europe she sent me a card from the beautiful places she visited. I proudly displayed them on my bulletin board at work.

As I began exploring the world wide web and making a few friends when the first asked what I would like from them I replied “send me a post card.” My first one arrived from Van Couver in Canada. I thought that was so cool that I shamelessly posted a request on one of the bulletin boards at LitKicks ( http://Litkicks.com a most awesome place to connect with friends from around the globe) and emailed my address to those who wanted to send me a postcard.

They soon began arriving. I had cards from Australia, New Mexico, Texas, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, New Orleans, Germany, Wales, England, Yemen and Virginia. I added these to my bulletin board and it quickly began filling up. I soon had too many and at one time one wall of my office was covered with the beautiful postcards I had received in the mail.

This wall made a tremendous impression on those who came to my office and a great way to share a little bit about myself, although I had to explain that these were not places I had traveled but represented the homes and travels of my friends from around the globe.

My work buddies soon wanted to get in on the fun and soon were also sending cards to me from their vacation spots. At one time I had centered a sign in midst of the postcards which read Litkicks Pals but because so many others began contributing I had to take it down. One gentleman whose business brings him into my office even sent me a card when he and his wife visited Denmark this last spring.

When I retired, I continued working a few hours a week, which meant I had to give up my office with the post card covered wall. The first thing I did to make my new work space really mine was to find a way to display my postcards. Unfortunately, they didn’t all fit but I found a way to expand my space and soon had them out for everyone to enjoy again.

Now I worry that continued exposure to light is causing the cards to lose their brightness and because they are so special to me I am going to take them down and put them in an album. But before I do, I just wanted to share them with you.

My Messy Work Area is made tolerable by the view.



Closer Views




So if you are ever out wandering about, feel free to drop me a postcard. I'd love to add it to my collection.








4 comments:

Caryn said...

Rock it on out, anniefay! Thanks for this, very cool -- I would post a picture of my tag board here, but it may scare away the children. You're much more organized than I am... to my right is my board for postcards (from gaylord) and notes and buttons and to my left is my shrine to my boo. mmmhm.

Now that reminds me, I haven't sent you a card in a while... beware.

doreen said...

very cool, blog, anniefay!

your postcard collection is wonderful!

what a great idea!

i love it!

SooZen said...

Annie, Love the postcard collection. Most of the things I ever collected ended up taking way too much space and were not near as enjoyable. I have quit collecting anything but beads and Litkickers' chapbooks (I have appointed myself as librarian.) Couldn't help but notice that Cecil's art stands out and has a place of honor. That is so cool. I feel right at home here in your space...and I am truly happy to see your stories again!

anniefay said...

thanks for stopping bye, all...

Soozen: yep that's Cecil art right in the middle of the board. He sent that to Jamelah when we did our first Litkicks event in Battle Creek. I wasn't even a Litkicker then. When I began the bulletin board I only had a few postcards and wanted something central from Litkicks to make it stand out... what better to represent than Cecil art! and thanks for the contributions you have made to this collection. there are several postcards from you in the group.

Firecracker... thanks... postcards from you always make my day... and give me a smile.

Levi... thanks.. and sure, use if you can figure out how to blend it in... anything for Litkicks, eh!

Judih... these are stapled to a bullentin board. The blue divider will not hold anything... i mean it is spongy and staples won't stick, push pins won't stick, tape won't stick. i snagged the velcro tacky board... and that sticks to it. i was excited because i thought i could cover that entire thing with postcards... yeah, i was wrong. but my tacky board is now filling up too.

i do love the postcards... i do!

LR, Doreen... thanks for taking a peek. it is appreciated. It is great to see that our Litkick friends stick...