Friday, June 24, 2005

Time to Go?

My Mom has a doctor's appointment and I am to pick her up in a couple hours to take her. She just called to let me know that she thought we should probably leave a little early today due to construction on the interstate which has diverted more local traffic to the back roads which is the route we usually take.

I said "OK". She then proceeded to let me know that one HAD to be at the doctor's office at least 10 minutes before your appointment. (Where did this logic come from? Certainly not my generation. We know that after you sign the appointment sheet and find a seat, you will not be called in for your appointment until you actually find something of interest in the magazine you picked up to look at while you were waiting. My experience is that this takes about 30 to 45 minutes, but whatever). So I said "OK" again.

Then Mom proceeded to explain to me the logic as to why she wanted to leave earlier, to just not take any chances with the traffic which might be a little bit heavier. And I said "OK" again. Then she repeated the bit about not wanting to be late. And I said, "OK, no problem."

"Anyway", she said, "I thought it'd be better if we left at least 10 minutes earlier than we had planned." I said "OK" again.

By now I have agreed to pick her up earlier about 5 times and I'm beginning to think, come on Mom, how many times do I have to let you know this is not a big deal. That's when I realized it was important that I let her ramble as much as she needed. You know, hopefully, some day I'll be 90 years old. I have a feeling that the attitude I assume with my Mom will be the example my daughter will assume when dealing with me in the future. I find my mother a bit humorous at times and am certainly not a bit remiss at poking gentle fun of her when I talk to my siblings or my daughter. The truth is, she is the most delightful, bright and beautiful 90 year old woman I have ever known.

I may choose to take a book today or I may decide to just spend the time with her sitting and waiting in the doctor's office. I definitely choose to enjoy this time and be conisderate of who she is. Someday someone else will have to take my poor old bones to the doctor's office and I hope they will enjoy the time they spend with me. I know this is a privilege. This is what I want my Mom to know about the way I feel when it is necessary to take her places. It is never an imposition. It is never something I wish I didn't have to do.

Time for lunch. I've got an important date this afternoon and I am going to leave just a little bit early for it.

No comments: