Friday, October 01, 2004

wonderfully splendifferous

It was a tradition. Saturday mornings - pancakes for breakfast. And if I do say so myself, I make a mighty fine pancake. But life dealt me a joker in the genes department and as I matured I learned I had low blood sugar.

I could still have pancakes for breakfast, and did. But never topped with scrumptiously delicious maple syrup dribbling down the sides. I had learned from my father to poke holes into the pancake so that as the syrup cascaded over and downwards it soaked into the soft texture making a buttery gooey delight that was beyond description. hmmmm.... pancakes soaking up all that maple syrup goodness.

Yeah, well! no more, baby. When I made pancakes I put cinnamon and artificial sweetner into the batter before cooking up the last couple then sandwiched an over easy egg in the middle (mmmm protein). Somehow it wasn't the same and pancakes lost their allure for me.

It is hard to define the flavor one gets when eating sugar free items. There's all kinds of goodies in the diabetic section of the grocery store. There's candy, ice cream, cookies... a whole half an isle... man that's a lot of crap. And the taste. Let me tell you what it tastes like... oh yeah, it tastes exactly like what it is a lot of crap. I did adjust to it... I now prefer diet coke to the original, i really like naturally sweet apple pie... with completely no sugar. But pouring that sugar free stuff into pancakes and telling yourself it tastes good... is feeding yourself a lie.

But then! whoooeeeeee!!! Splenda! Not to get all commercialized on you... but Splenda is actually sugar free sugar. Yeah, that makes no sense. But it's true. Isn't that just wonderfully splendafferous! Why YES it is!

Then I found the neatest thing. Sugar Free syrup made with Splenda! Wow! With a great deal of apprehension I bought that stuff then gave it a test run. The first time I used it very sparingly. I knew I was going to get sick. This was just too good to be true. But I did not get sick. I did not hate the taste. It was quite yummy in fact. So the next time, I poured on a little more. whoooppppeeee! I actually can drown my pancakes in syrup, punch holes in them and let all that syrupy goodness turn into a most delectable goo!

I shall forever love the creators of Splenda! Hmmmm Good.

Now, I wonder if they can make wine that doesn't make me high after two swallows...

No comments: